Benchmark B: Explain the reasons people from various cultural groups came to North America and the consequences of their interactions with each other.
Grade 4, GLI 2. Describe the impact of the expansion of European settlements on American Indians in Ohio.
- Divide students into pairs. Each pair will receive a copy of the John Melish map of Ohio, a present day map of Ohio, and a pencil. Distribute all materials.
- Begin lesson with a class discussion about the uses of maps. Allow several students to share ideas about what types of maps they have seen, what maps are used for, etc.
- Explain to students that they will use both of the maps to answer some questions.
- Distribute spiral question worksheet to each student. Allow time for students to work through questions with their partner.
- Once everyone is finished, go over questions and answers with the entire class.