1. Core Theme: Growth of the Nation-Transportation, Communication, and Westward Movement
2. Grade Level: 2-4
3. Estimated Duration of Lesson: 30-45 minutes
4. Standards & Indicators:
Grade 2 History #5: Identify the work that people performed to make a living in the past and explain how jobs in the past are similar and/or different from those of today. History #4: Use historical artifacts, photographs, and maps to answer questions about daily life in the past. Social Studies Skills and Methods #2: Identify sources used to gather information: a) people; b) printed materials; c) electronic sources.
Grade 3 History #3: Describe changes in the community over time including changes in: f) transportation. Geography #8: Identify systems of transportation used to move people and products and systems of communication used to move ideas from place to place. Social Studies Skills and Methods #1: Obtain information about local issues from a variety of sources including: a) maps; b) photos; f) artifacts
Grade 4 History #5: Explain how canals changed settlement patterns in Ohio. Study Skills and Methods #3: Use primary and secondary sources to answer questions about Ohio History.
5. Lesson Summary:
Using primary and secondary sources, the students will travel with a local farmer as he takes his goods to market by way of the Old Port Washington Road (Ohio Road #20). This lesson can be pared with “The Ohio and Erie Canal”
to show the farmer got his goods to distant markets.
6. Instructional Steps to Implement the Lesson:
2)Introduce location using maps.
4) Using primary source photos, have students travel the Old Washington Road; go to Ohio Memory
and search for historic images from Millersburg, Baltic, and Port Washington, and surrounding areas. Students will use "Photograph Analysis"
Worksheet to examin photographs.
6) Closing: Think-Pair-Share Strategy (Students will share something they learned or found interesting as they traveled the Old Port Washington Road to the Ohio and Erie Canal.)
6. Differentiation Ideas: 1) Remove word bank from post test. 2) Use a picture bank in place of word bank. 3) Internet search for goods produced in Ohio in 1840.
7. Post-Assessment and Scoring Guideline:
Students will complete a post test (Venn Diagram/questions)
on transporting Ohio goods to market past and present. Students will be expected to place at least 3 items in each section of the Venn Diagram. Students will answer the six questions in complete sentences. Each question will be worth 2 points.
8. Materials Needed by Teacher:
9. Materials Needed by Students:
Internet access (for internet search)
Extended Learning: plain colored craft sticks of varying sizes, glue, masking tape, cardboard, rubber bands, variety of materials to aid in construction, art boxes
10. Extended Learning:
1) Using primary source pictures of canal boats and wagons of the 1840s era, students will create a model of their choice depicting one of these two forms of early transportation in Ohio.
Lesson Plan Created By: