1. Core Theme: Growing the Nation: Westward Expansion
2. Grade Level: 6
3. Estimated duration of lesson: One Class period.
4. The content standards Topic: Expansion. Content Statement: The United States added to its territory through treaties and purchases.
Study Skills and Methods #3: Use primary and secondary sources to answer questions.
5. The Primary Source: “Captain Lewis & Clark holding a council with the Indians,” an etching. A Journal of the Voyages and Travels of the Corps of Discovery, Under the Command of Capt. Lewis and Capt. Clarke, by Patrick Gass. Philadelphia. 1810, P. 26, Library of Congress, Rare and Special Books Collections Division, LC-USZ62-17372.
6. A summary of the lesson: Students will learn about the relationship between Lewis and Clark and Native Americans by analyzing a primary source.
7. Instructional Steps
1. Background Lesson on the Lewis & Clark Expedition
2. Distribute Engraving of “Captain Lewis & Clark holding a council with the Indians” and related Spiral Questions.
3. Students answer spiral questions individually, in groups,
4. Whole class will come together to go over the different responses participants developed.
8. Worksheets: Spiral Questions.
9. Materials needed by teacher and students