Estimated duration of lesson:
History: Describe the earliest settlements in Ohio including those of prehistoric peoples. Explain how Ohio progressed from territory to statehood, including terms of the Northwest Ordinance. Skills: Communicate relevant information in a written report including the acknowledgement of sources.
Language Arts: Write an informational report.
Primary Source used:
Summary of the lesson:
Description of the instructional steps to implement the lesson:
- Each student will look at the primary source image (Christensen painting and Northwest Ordinance) and answer the spiral questions.
- A chart of the students’ prior knowledge will be generated in a group discussion.
- The students will read about Ohio settlement, The Public Land Act of 1785 (in the Along the Ohio Trailsection) and the Northwest Ordinance (in the Along the Ohio Trail ) in reading groups.
- During the reading time the students will complete their graphic organizer and determine important facts about the way land was acquired. This information will be used to complete the lesson.
- The students will use their facts to generate an informational report about the way settlers were able to make a permanent settlement. They will use their facts acquired from reading about The Public Land Act of 1785 and the Northwest Ordinance.
- The students will read their report to the class.